Home to Québec’s National Assembly, Québec City is a seat of government with leading industries, cutting edge infrastructure, businesses, research centres, and an ecosystem that fosters economic development. It is a place of higher learning and innovation; a capital city with an entrepreneurial vision. In Québec City, science, knowledge, and innovation combine to open up new niches of specialization and excellence. Its leading industries attract numerous events.
Québec City: key figures
- Canada’s highest ratio of researchers per capita
- 5,500 researchers and associates in cutting-edge fields
- 400 laboratories, research centres and institutes, groups, and consortia and 120 R&D companies
- 5 universities, including Université Laval, the oldest French-language university in North America
- 16 colleges and technical institutions and 22 vocational schools and specialized institutes
- 20,000 new university and college graduates each year
- 40% of the jobs created over the last 10 years are knowledge-based
- 52% of the population age 15 to 44 years old is bilingual (English and French)
- 101 government head offices – 37,000 jobs
- More than 40 industrial zones and parks in the Québec City CMA
- Nearly 30 million sq. ft. of technology spaces
- Over 4,100 companies
Interested in attracting and organizing a conference in Québec City? Want to make your mark in the community and take on a challenge? Québec City's Ambassadors' Club works with local event champions to attract international events to the city. Contact us to learn what we can do for your project.Learn more
At the top of the charts
- Ranked by fDi magazine as one of the Top 10 American Cities of the Future in five categories: economic potential, business friendliness, cost effectiveness, connectivity, and human capital and lifestyle (2019–2020, fDi intelligence, mid‑sized‑cities category)
- Ranked Canada’s most attractive city for millennials (2018, Point2home)
- First in Québec and seventh in Canada for GDP (Conference Board, 2018)
- Ranked first for low operating costs among cities with over 100,000 residents in Canada, the U.S., and Europe (KPMG Competitive Choice, 2016)
- Top 10 worldwide for its diversified industrial base (Statistics Canada, 2016)
- Ranked in the Top 7 and Smart 21 of the world’s smartest cities (2012–2014)
Areas of expertise
Québec City is a unique convention destination full of smart, talented, creative, and hard working people. It’s also an innovative university city that boasts a thriving entrepreneurial ecosystem and the highest concentration of researchers per capita in Canada. Université Laval and its roster of world class research chairs, institutes, and centres offer an exceptional pool of research and teaching talent in numerous fields. This dynamism gives rise to numerous conferences and events.
SGA Québec: A mine of knowledge and know-how
In August 2017, over 700 researchers and specialists in geology of ore deposits from around the world gathered at the Québec City Convention Centre.
Line Rochefort: A Pioneer in Protecting the World’s Peatlands
Line Rochefort, Professor at Université Laval’s Plant Sciences Department, fell in love with peat moss when she worked in the Canadian Arctic.
Québec City: Acing the fight against air pollution
Québec City welcomed 1,500 experts for the U.S. Air and Waste Management Association’s (A&WMA) Annual Conference and Exhibition, ACE 2019.
Québec City weaves its magic to attract FISM World Championships of Magic 2021
From July 26 to 31, 2021, Québec City will play host to over 2000 magicians and magic aficionados from around the world.
International Math Conference to be held in Québec City
Hundreds of mathematicians and researchers in number theory will be attending the 15thCanadian Number Theory Association Conference (CNTA XV).
Québec City Business Destination honours five business leaders
Québec Destination affaires a honoré quatre personnalités de la communauté d’affaires de Québec pour leur influence positive sur le développement du tourisme d’affaires et la tenue de congrès et de réunions à Québec. Cette soirée reconnaissance des personnes d’influence s’étant démarquées par leur leadership exceptionnel se déroule au Centre des congrès de Québec en présence d’une centaine de convives de la région de Québec.
Key steps to becoming a successful event ambassador
If you are part of an association, society, interest group or organization that regularly holds events, as a member you may volunteer or be called upon to become the ambassador of an upcoming conference or convention. Event ambassadors are experts in their fields that work with experienced planners to organize large-scale events, including the content, marketing and logistics.
Québec City: Riding the waves of innovative waste water management
Mr. Vanrolleghem is the Chair of the Organizing Committee for ICA 2017, the 12th International Water Association’s Conference on Instrumentation, Control and Automation. Held from June 11 to 14, 2017, the conference will welcome over 300 delegates from all over the world to exchange on the latest technological advances and provide a means for the next-generation of professionals to network with seasoned experts.